Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Another Night in the City

OMG, I can't believe how slow it has been at work today. I'm loving it. I was bitching yesterday about how busy it's been, only to find myself today with next to nothing to do. So, i decided to write up a post. JP Mac mentioned the bar, Therapy, in a recent post, which reminded me of the following experience. This goes along with one I posted back in January, One Night in the City.

The conference was a bore. Afterwards, my boss Ben and I relaxed a bit, got changed, and went for a bite to eat. After dinner we went to meet up with a friend of mine, Harrison, who lives in the Murray Hill neighborhood of Manhattan. Harrison and I met a few years ago while he was in law school at Vanderbilt here in Nashville. I was on a temporary breakup with BF. We were both bored one night and found each other on Gay.com. He invited me over for a drink and whatnot, and before you knew it, we were into the whatnot. We hooked up a couple times after that, but it never went any further than decent conversation and sex. Anyway, back to the story.

We had a glass of wine at his place then caught a cab over to Therapy for drinks. Therapy is good bar if you just want to relax with a decent crowd without the go-go boys and overly loud music. I already had a nice buzz from a couple of Grey Goose and tonics at dinner. The glass of pinot noir at Harrison's only added to the warmth. There was a good crowd that night, not so busy that you couldn't move or hear yourself talk, but enough to make it happenin'. We went upstairs and ran into some friends of Harrison's. They were very friendly and bought us a few rounds. Ben had an early morning meeting, so he went back to the hotel. I stayed for a few more drinks. After a while, I was feeling kind of randy and was hoping that Harrison and I would head back to his place for a little fun. Unfortunately, he had to be up early too, so it didn't pan out. He went back home and again, I decided to stay. His friends were nice, but I wasn't interested in any of them, so when last call cam around I decided to head back to the W and get some rest. I must have been really drunk, because I decided to walk instead of hail a cab (I love walking in Manhattan). And on top of that, it was pouring down rain. On the way, I saw a guy standing under an awning. I decided to get out of the rain for a few and joined him. I don't know why, but I spoke to him with an Irish accent (yeah, I'm weird). He was a decent looking black guy and some kind of street hustler (not the sexual kind). We talked for a bit until the rain subsided. I vaguely remember the conversation, but it had something to do with making money on the streets. I asked him if he was into guys, but he said he was straight. As we were about to part ways he asked me for a few dollars. Seeing how nothing is free on the streets, he let me cop a quick feel, I gave him 2 bucks, and we each went our merry ways. Did I mention that I was a little drunk?

I finally made it back to Times Square where it had started raining again. It was near 4 a.m. at this point. The place was dead. The usual sounds of sirens and honking taxi cabs were replaced only by the deafening roar of a heavy rain. Aside from an occasional delivery truck there was zero traffic. I walked out to the middle of 7th Ave and looked at the lights all around me and admired the way the falling sheets of rain played with the illuminations and reflections in the street. Unfortunately, Times Square isn't fully lit up at 4 in the morning, but it was neat being the only person in a spot that is usually packed with people. There was a very surreal feeling to it all. Seeing how it wasn't getting any earlier, I dragged my soaked ass back up to my room, dried off, jerked off and went to bed. I hated myself 6 hours later when I had to be at a meeting.

1 comment:

about a boy said...

oh. the wee hours of times square are the best! no tourists! empty. and beautiful.