Tuesday, January 30, 2007

To Sell My Sanity?

I have been presented with an opportunity to interview with another company. I would basically be doing the same thing I am now, but with a substantial increase in pay. My dilemma is, do I trade comfort for money?

You see, I like the company I am currently with. Though, very small (7 employees), I make a decent salary, have good seniority, and know exactly how the company runs. I enjoy the fact that I am completely out at work and nobody cares (my ex-boss was gay too, so it was easy coming into this job as a homo). BF is invited to all company functions with me. I can come in late some days and leave early others without having to ask anyone. A 10 minute commute going against the flow of rush hour traffic is nice too. And on top of all that, we have club level hockey tickets that i can use several times in the season.

The new place would be a little bigger. I know for a fact that they have a more conservative atmosphere, which would kinda suck. I'm afraid I would have to keep mum on my lifestyle, and wonder if Id ever be able to be comfortably out there. The commute would be about twice as long, but the pay would be about $25,000 more than I'm making now. I don't even really know if this is the line of work i wish to stay in for that much longer.

But, 25 grand, man. That's alot of scratch to work with. I think that would put me in another tax bracket. I could really do some good things for my life, but at what sacrifice?? What if I took the job (assuming they'd want me after the interview) and hated it? Would my sanity really be worth the monetary increase? But then again, it could turn out to be a cool place as well. I just don't know. Any ideas? What to do, what to do???

3 comments:

S said...

Does the money justify a future of ongoing headaches?

S said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
JUSTIN said...

That’s a tough call to make...sounds like you have an ideal situation at your current job but that’s a lot of money to consider. If you don't feel like you’re stagnating at your current job and you’re comfortable financially I'd stick with it. But if you think you need a challenge and/or change I'd jump at the new offer.