Thursday, March 22, 2007

Tulip Post 3

Well, I don't know what is going on with the tulips this season. They started off promising, but something has stunted them drastically. The bishop tulips are all usually out in full bloom by now. However, as you can see, only one managed to flourish. The others had begun to bud, but the flowers withered and fell off before they even got close to maturity. I want to write it off to a late frost, but that has never affected them in the past 3 seasons. Perhaps it's some kind of disease or bulb rot. The dutch tulips in front of them seem to be on a slow track, but I have noticed some small signs of buddage deep inside. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, as they are very beautiful bloomers. I think after they all die off for the season, I will transplant the bulbs elsewhere and maybe use this space for annuals.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

they could have been stunted by the crazy fluctuations in temps this year. i don't know if it was the same there as here, but in january, the tulips started coming out up here in the north. we then got an intense freeze throughout all of february -- and i mean intense! Of course, now at the end of march, it's warming up nicely again. We usually don't get tulips until April, but hopefully mine won't be hurt this year too!