Saturday, December 30, 2006

Parthenon and the Walking Man

For those that have never been to Nashville, which I imagine is the majority, I highly recommend a visit. It truly is a lot more than country music and cowboy boots. For being in the south, it’s actually quite a laid back little city. And being the publishing and music recording capitol of the world, it is rather gay friendly. (Though, I wouldn’t suggest walking hand in hand through some parts of the city). I'm going to occasionally try to post photos that I've shot from around town to show some of the neat things to be found here. I hope you enjoy them. This first one is the Parthenon, an exact replica from the plans of the original found in Greece. Built in 1896 as part of the World Expo/Tennessee Centennial Celebration, it was restored several years ago. Its located in Centennial Park, my favorite of many parks found here. It is also where I met my first trick.

It was a beautiful late spring evening. The sun was just beginning to descend below the horizon. My mind was bouncing between my high school graduation in two weeks and what I wanted to do with my last summer before college. I was driving around, killing time before meeting up with friends later. I pulled into McDonalds to get a couple of burgers and a coke. Being that it was so nice out, and the fact that the park entrance was basically right there, I decided to drive through the park and find a nice place to eat. I was looking for a good spot, when I noticed a tall guy walking along the way. As I passed by him I heard a resounding, "Hey!!". I knew exactly what he was "heying" at, since the park was known as a particularly cruisy place at the time. I continued on for a few hundred yards before finding a good place to pull over and eat. I was almost finished with my first burger when I noticed the walking man sitting on a nearby picnic table casting glances my way. I thought for a minute, and told myself, "Fuck it, let's see what happens." Upon this decision my heart started racing and I totally lost my appetite. I threw away my remaining McDs and walked towards the Parthenon. I walked about half way around it and sat down on the side steps. I looked back to see if walking man was following. He was nowhere to be seen. I was a bit disappointed, but at the same time relieved that he was gone. I sat there for a moment looking out over the grassy lawn. " I must be crazy", I thought to myself. "I can't believe what I was about to do. When is this gay phase gonna pass?" As I was about to get up to go back to my car, I heard a noise behind me. I turned to see walking man emerging from behind one of the large pillars....

____________________________

Sorry guys, I don't mean to leave ya hangin'. I've run outta time right now. It's hockey night and I gotta get ready to head downtown for the game. I'll finish up what happened in the next post.


Peace

No comments: