Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Can't Stop

Not too long ago I developed a new addiction. Luckily, its not one that costs me too much money, and no one can tell I'm a junky unless they get a good look at my gums. However, I do like to be by myself when I do it, so know one else can see the monster in me. It started a little over a year ago. I hadn't been to the dentist in probably 10 years or more, and to be honest, didn't plan on going. A strong phobia and my own laziness kept me away (mostly the phobia). Ive always been good about brushing twice a day, and believe it or not, I have never had a cavity. However, it had gotten to a point that my gums would bleed a little when i brushed. I wrote it off to brushing too hard.

The company I work for has great health care benefits, but sadly enough, no dental. So, when BF came home and said he had enrolled me for dental insurance through his work (his company offers Domestic Partner benefits), I was glad, but at the same time worried. I knew that I would have to go in for at least a cleaning within six months of enrollment or lose the benefit. He pestered and pestered me up until that sixth month when I finally scheduled an appointment. Sitting in the chair, looking around at all the implements designed for oral torture, I could feel a bead of sweat roll down my forehead. The hygienist came in, poked and prodded about in my mouth and took x-rays. Several minutes later, the dentist came in and pulled the x-rays up on the monitor. I was in the early stages of periodontal disease. They were going to have to do some major cleaning. I forget what the procedure was called, but it took about two hours and three shots of Novocaine. Basically they had to go up under the gums with a super high pressure (and high-pitched) water-pic and a scraper. It was utter hell. I couldn't feel my mouth for hours afterwards, but when I could, man did it suck. The dentist said my problem didn’t stem from a lack of brushing, but because I didn’t floss regularly. So, needless to stay, I started flossing at least once a day, just so I wouldn't have to go through that agony again.

At my last appointment, I got an A+, so to speak. My weakened gums had completely healed themselves. They are beautiful and lovely pink as opposed to the red they were previously. It’s amazing the amount of nastiness that gets trapped between your teeth that brushing just can’t get to no matter how hard you try. I have gotten to the point where if I don’t floss at least once a day, my mouth feels dirty. I even carry those little travel size floss-packs that the dentist gives you, so I can sneak away after a meal if need be and free the funk from between. I now look forward to my dentist visits, just so I can stock up on the freebies.

I honestly don’t know if you could call it an addiction or not, but it feels that way. Maybe its just OCD, but I really feel uncomfortable if something prevents my oral care. I guess its really just a good habit that I’ve gotten into. Maybe I’ll quit for a day or two and see if I get the shakes.

2 comments:

JUSTIN said...

That's a very positve habit to have, one that I need to aquire.

The last cavity I had (1 of 3), I let the dentist drill it with no novacane. Surprisingly it wasn't that bad...mind over matter and all that.

about a boy said...

i brush twice a day and floss monday thru friday.

i dont think ive not had a cavity when ive gone to the dentist. he loves me.